Search This Blog

Sunday 1 October 2023

Looking at Small Things

This runs the gamut from hand lens to microscope. It
is a guide for youngsters from 9 to 90, wanting to look at small things, whether they are animal, vegetable or mineral. It covers the range from zoom lens or naked eye to hand lens (magnifying glass), tablets and phone cameras, with or without a clip-on lens, USB cameras connected to computers and binocular and monocular microscopes, with or without a drop-in camera.

The book's dedication tells you where I stand: "This book was written to engage the curiosity of solo 7-year-olds such as I once was; to answer the questions of curious 17-year-olds such as I once was; to provide the answers that elude hard-pressed 27-year-old teachers such as I once was; to offer ideas wanted by happy and engaged 37-year-old parents such as I once was; to provoke the imagination of 47-year-old museum educators such as I once was; to draw outside 57-year-old compulsive writers such as I once was and still am; to inspire 67-year-old grandfathers such as I once was and still am; and to enliven the life of 77-year-olds such as I recently was."

As a child, my unscientific parents bought me a toy microscope, but they could offer no suggestions about things for me to look at. This book fills that very need for the next generation, gently offering ideas and inspiration. Here, the reader will learn how to meet nature on equal terms: flatworms; mantises; leeches; spiders and their webs; springtails and sandhoppers; skulls and bones found in the bush; pollen grains; hairy leaves; plant roots; sand; rocks; rusty iron; decaying wood, lichens; mushrooms and snail shells.

They will discover the detail that lies hidden in banknotes and coins; drops of water; soil; compost; crystals and more. Ant lions, earthworms; cockroaches and pillbugs may all, depending on taste, become their pets and friends.

See a sample here

An ebook in full colour for Kindle; $4 and

A print-on-demand paperback; $25


The base page for all of these is here.


No comments:

Post a Comment