Search This Blog

Saturday 29 June 2019

Fossils from Spain, Portugal and Morocco


My travels were partly
financed by this book.
Our recent trip (the main reason for little communication over May-June) was mostly in areas where the streets are paved with fossils. We were mainly over an old coral reef that reaches out from Iberia to Hungary, and the limestone flagging turned up many fossils.

A-D were metamorphosed ripple shale in Chefchaouen, Morocco, E-F were from the Hassan II mosque in Casablanca, G-H were flagging in Ronda (Spain), I-K and M Lisbon, L and N-S were Obidos, T-Y Coimbra. With the exception of the first four, which were cleaved, the rest were cut and somewhat polished slabs.

Anybody, any hints on IDs would be good.

The coin? That's an Australian 50 cents, 38 mm across. Several of our companions saw me picking up coins as I walked around, and expressed surprise at me finding so much money: they had missed seeing me layong the coin down in the first place. I use them as a scale that will still be in circulation when I drop off the twig.



A-D were metamorphosed ripple shale in Chefchaouen, Morocco,




E-F were from the Hassan II mosque in Casablanca



G-H were flagging in Ronda (Spain)



I-K and M Lisbon,






L and N-S Obidos








T-Y Coimbra in Portugal








No comments:

Post a Comment