Search This Blog

Sunday 20 May 2018

Winter versicles

I've been posting these to Facebook: might as well give them a permanent home. No, I'm not a poet, but I used to know one.

Winter whinge

I'd rather have a splinter
Stuck in my big toe
Than live a day in winter
For winter will not go.

Winter growl

I wanted to say what I think about winters
To tell the whole story, by hook or by crook —
But then I was told that the nasty old printers
Won't let me use those words in their sort of book.

Winter grizzle

Every poet winter fears:
It freezes their poetic ears,
Poets moan in winter time
Of seasons when it's hard to rhyme.

They loathe the fierce and chilly blows
That frizzilate a poet's nose,
They rant and rail at polar winds
That mortify a poet's shinds.

Every poet hates the winter
Winter forces poets into
Ugg boots, jumpers, woolly socks,
Beanies for their tangled locks . . .

Every poet winter fears,
Then spring comes in and interferes!
All the poets love their springs
That rhyme with sings and swings and strings.


Last of the winter whine

I've had enough
Of winter's rough
And ready hold
On wind and cold.
I hate the storm
Just give me warm
Fresh air and fun
And summer sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment