Search This Blog

Sunday 29 January 2012

Some links and an answer

I'm still flat out working on a book, but I just took the time out from the trivia of checking the accents on foreign names, italics and all the other things that make a book annoying if they aren't fixed, to look at the link to a 4-minute sequence called The Beauty of Pollination.

I don't have a context for that, but it came from ted.com, which is a source of much wonder to me, and it can be the same for you, if you allow it.  Just go to their home page, and look around.

Of course, I'm a bit of a text person, and I'm Australian, so I like to get my fix each morning of academic thought from around Australia. Some of our best and brightest minds in Australian universities provide background information on what interests them. The emphasis is often on matters to do with politics, either directly or peripherally, but I cannot recommend The Conversation enough.

OK, that's the link, now the answers.  Two posts back, at the end of the entry, I posted two puzzle images.  Here is some extra information to explain.

The first image was of a seaweed, Hormosira banksii, seen at close range with the strands laid out in parallel with the falling tide.  Here are a few more pics of the same seaweed, which is found in both Australia and New Zealand, and which was collected by Sir Joseph Banks in 1770.


To give the reader a scale, each bubble is about 7 mm or a quarter of an inch long. That's near enough for government work.

No comments:

Post a Comment