Search This Blog

Monday 9 January 2012

I'm busy


This is the flat-out writer talking. On the right, you can see what I plan to talk about when I have the time.

Sorry about the silence, but when you write, there are periods like this.  I have been revising a partly completed manuscript, then I stopped to clean up the first chapter of a completed ms so I could "pitch" it, I am now working on teachers' notes for a book due out in May, and that involves getting up-to-date with the latest jargon (the ideas are the same, but the names are changed). This is how innovation happens in education: people rename some existing thing.

For example, they change 'tennis' to 'fardarkling', scribble several articles with long bibliographies full of diatribes by obscure Dutch primitivist post-modernist philosophers who only write in Basque.  These articles have titles like The Curricular Centrality of Fardarkling, and you then say to people "I invented fardarkling" and so you get promoted—but I digress.

Back on topic, I have a new gig to work on, after a meeting today.  It's a research job, targeting ages 8+ and that's about all I plan to say about it for quite some time, as it is somebody else's intellectual property, and a very clever way to stretch young minds.

Let me just say that I will be placing my trust in Jerome S. Bruner: "Any subject can be taught effectively in some intellectually honest form to any child at any stage of development."

There will be feathers, and some time soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment