Search This Blog

Friday 15 April 2022

Behind the Easter bunny.

 I am currently working on what I refer to as my four last songs, the five books I want to get out of the way before hanging up my pen.

Of course, when I talk about stopping writing, my friends react like the Canterbury Pilgrims did, on their first day out:


Nonetheless, I forge ahead. Now about the Easter egg, one of the works is The Bruces’ Dictionary of Phrase & Fablewhich is subtitled the origins of mythology and a mythology of origins.

From this, I have drawn the entry on the Rabbit:

A small and over-sexed mammal. They are rare in some areas as the female rabbits prefer to mate with roosters, which is the origin of the ‘Easter Bunny’ legend. To achieve this result, a rabbit must first associate with hens, to acquire a suitable smell, after which they move in with the rooster, but it does not last, for a fowl and his bunny are soon parted.

Another of the works being finalised is a selection of verse called Let's Fang the Fauna, and given the style, I considered using the pen-name Ogden Gnash, but I decided I wanted people to know who was doing it to them. Anyhow, here's a rabbit-related sample:


The finest perfumes in the land
Will make some noses runny;
The dinner that the hawk has planned
Is bad news for the bunny.

Many rabbits have the luck
To not become our meat
For almost every doe and buck
Has lucky rabbits’ feet.

The rabbit, served in various ways,
Has culinary merits.
Eat rabbits for a hundred days,
Then take a dose of ferrets.

By the way, there's an Easter egg buried here...

Happy Easter!

Oh yes, there will be more on this in the next entry. Here's a link.

No comments:

Post a Comment